Thursday, June 14, 2012

Steve Martin Tribute


Here's my piece for the Steve Martin tribute show going on right now at Gallery 1988's Venice location.

I based it on what is quite possibly my favorite Steve Martin movie, Planes Trains and Automobiles. Even as a kid I was always a bigger fan of this style of John Hughes movie rather than his teen drama stuff like The Breakfast Club, which seems to be what my generation remembers him most fondly for.

I got to see Steve Martin perform bluegrass not that long ago and it was seriously one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Granted I'm a big fan of bluegrass, but it was incredible. He closed with King Tut which I could not believe. My friends told me they thought he would do it, but I kept feeling like he would want to emphasize the bluegrass rather than doing much comedy. I think I felt that way because of that incident a while back where a venue actually had to refund everybody's ticket for one of his events because he was there to talk about art and they expected stand up.

I thought about doing a piece based on his music but his band already has some killer posters and promotional artwork.

You can buy a print of this piece here!


1 comment:

Ben Whitehouse said...

Oh my this is absollutely fantastic! From a super big Steve Martin fan, you've done an awesome job with this