Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Great Shelled Dragon



This design simply came from an urge I had to take something familiar and draw it in an unexpected art style. In this case, making Bowser look like he's been depicted on an ancient Chinese scroll. I was really excited to get started on this once it occurred to me to make Bowser look like a dragon; it seemed like a perfect fit. But it was harder than I expected to find reference photos for the kind of dragon I wanted to use, specifically the kind with the more smushed, lion-like face (which I think most people easily recognize as Asian art) as opposed to the kind with the longer, alligator-like face (which can also make people think of medieval folklore.) It's the kind of thing I know I've seen a hundred times but I couldn't find many drawings or prints, so I mostly used photos of parade dragons.

Anyway, this is a shirt design that you can vote for now at Splitreason!


5 comments:

Strange Kid said...

You got my vote. It'd also make one heck of a wallpaper as well... *wink*nod*

Chogrin said...

A-MAZING! AS POST pronto!

pharmacy said...

Great post! Keep it up the good work and also keep posting.

Buy domain name in India said...

Dragon looks great. You have done a good job by posting this article. Keep on posting...

web development astoria said...

Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.